Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hawks

It's not a raccoon. We've been setting the traps for about a week now, and besides the chickens and possums, we haven't had any luck. And two days ago I went to check on the chickens and I went into the lean-to (at about 5pm) and there was dead chicken with a HAWK standing over it, ripping it apart. I yelled, and it flew into the back corner of the barn and all I could think was a string of expletives mixed with the desire for a gun. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could but let it fly out of the barn.

Turns out, it is a federal offense to kill any bird of prey. Not that that knowledge would have stopped me if I had had a shotgun with me. I mean, it's killing my livestock!

The good news is, we've probably seen the last of the hawk for awhile... all the teenage birds are dead now, and the big birds are about twice the size of this hawk. The hawk was on the smaller side... perhaps a teenage hawk.

I'd like to get a rooster... a really mean, big, ugly rooster. But as it is, I think the big birds can hold their own... neighbor Bill says he saw a big bird chase off a hawk last week.

4 comments:

  1. Chels, sorry to hear about this event. I was wondering about the raccoons, but really didn't know if they'd kill chickens. But I remember the backyard next to the park in Lexington had a hawk stalk the bird feeder and take out a pigeon when I looked out. If was a horrible feeling, and you are way more attached to your chickens than I was to that pigeon. Really, I'm sorry for that. I'm glad the others are so big and hopefully safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owls will also kill chickens, if they can get to them at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat,

    I have heard that... but I don't think we have owls. This hawk has been living in a tree outside the barn ever since we moved here, but haven't seen an owl. We're considering putting out a fake owl to scare the hawk away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you put an emu in with the chickens? Or a pair of them? I really don't know. Dr. K. had chickens and every other known animal - but he also had emus. They can be agressive - but I don't know if they would guard (or aggravate) your chickens. Anyone know?

    ReplyDelete