Monday, September 7, 2009

Wasp Sting

I've been working to shrink the size of a trash burning pit made of concrete blocks the previous owners left. I burned and burned and shoveled out years worth of ashes (4 tractor carts full). Now I'm working on moving one of the walls in.

There are lots of wasp nests in the blocks. I've had success with just ignoring them and avoiding moving the blocks with nests when there are wasps on the nests. It probably has also helped that when I'm working there I'm usually trying to burn down tree limbs and such and it's smoky.

Well, today my luck ran out. There was a wasp that started to bother me, and in my casualness I waved it away and it kept coming back. Then I felt it knock against my hand, so I started to retreat. Then my hand started to hurt... a lot. Then it landed on Dia and Dia jumped about 10 feet, then it started to... well... chase me. Dia and I ran for the house.

Right now I have a hive on my hand that's considerably swollen, but doesn't hurt anymore. I'm on my way out to Kroger to buy wasp spray before I continue my cement block work.

2 comments:

  1. Chelsea,

    Please be careful. Karen and I hope to visit in the near future. I'm having my right knee scoped on Wednesday....all should go well. Afterall, I've seen so many arthroscopies through the surgery window, how could it not go well. love, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad,

    You should just have them do a local anathestic and then you can hover over them while they do it.

    PS - Where are my copies of Equine ER?

    ReplyDelete