Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Seed saving

This new world of seed swapping is awesome. So far, I have scored:

Jamaican Hot Pepper
Spinach
Mixed Lettuce
White Pumpkins
Genovese basil

I'm also participating in a seed swap... a bunch of people send any number between 3 and 15 seed packages to one person (and postage) and the person collects them all, puts them in a pool, and then sends you the same number you sent in. I sent in 8 packs.

I'm looking for interesting tomatoes (striped, green, or black) and basil (cinnamon, spicy, purple), but also just collecting things as they come up.

Here's a picture of the seeds as we collect them. We have SO MANY SEEDS. We're going to sell seeds at the winter market this winter. I have at least 150 packs so far.


Also pictures: Dia gets a toy we call 'the worm', and a picture of an Australorp, as requested. The best chickens EVER.




Added: What is the Australorp eating? That would be a bowl of old yogurt that got kind of moldy. Chickens LOVE yogurt. And yes, in light of the moldy corn incident, I scraped off the mold.

3 comments:

  1. Do you only want vegetable seeds? I should be having quite a crop of moonflower seeds (a beautiful climbing vine that blooms at night) and I could probably send you some. According tho the internet, I am not supposed to harvest the pods until it frosts, or until they turn a dark brown. If you want, I'll keep you informaed as to their progress. It is a beautifl plant - google it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday.....Wishing you all the best, love dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. No posts for a week.....missing the news from the helpfulgnome.

    ReplyDelete