Sunday, August 9, 2009

Why don't we have eggs yet? It is now week 18, and according to my calculations based on our breeds and other people's experiences, we should at least have some tiny eggs by now. I've noticed more urgent digging in the barn lately as well. So I set up an experiment.

I set the live trap next to a hole in the chicken coop. (We've done this many times before without success using our previously successful baits: broccoli and lettuce) I baited the trap with an egg.

WE HAVE CAUGHT TWO WOODCHUCKS IN TWO DAYS. Both times the egg was devoured.

There you have it.

These are probably the babies of the woodchucks we caught in March as they are smaller and have really small tails. The theory goes that they were babies and were not doing much digging and just hanging out under the barn and coming out to eat grass and such. But now they are big and digging and at the very least, eating chicken feed, and at the worst, EATING MY EGGS.

How many woodchuck babies are in a litter? I will google this and report later.

No comments:

Post a Comment