Sunday, July 5, 2009

New baby chicks

We went to Dinky's Auction House on Friday night. It's a huge, 10 ring auction house that sells EVERYTHING from loose nails and screws to cars, ducks, cows, refrigerators, and guinea pigs. We stayed in the small animal ring because I wanted to score a box of chicks. We sat through 2 hours of small animal auctioning before we left. Guinea chicks were a big hit; they sold between $3 and $5 a chick. (They were sold by the box, usually of 6, 10, or 20, but the bidding was price per chick.) Really cute rabbits went for $10 a rabbit... big eating rabbits sold for about $2. I got a box of 10 Araucana's for $1 a piece! A gentleman next to me tried to raise to $2 but he didn't call fast enough and the auctioneer called it for me.

I also bought a box of Barred Rock pullets. They're causing me trouble, so more updates on them when I get them sorted out. Suffice to say, one of them ran away into the woods and I haven't seen it in 24 hours and the other two are having a hard time adjusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment